One thing that I mention throughout the website is Luro.io's focus on our reader's privacy. We do our best to ensure that you are not being tracked on our website, and you can enjoy a fast, advertisement free, trackerless experience.
However, one of the biggest obstacles we faced is having website analytics to review site performance without tracking our users. As many of you may know, Google Analytics is a relatively well-known Website Analytics software that can be added to any website for free. It is incredibly detailed, even telling you the estimated age of those who visit your website. However, for Google to do this, they track your every step when using any website with Google Analytics attached to it.
This amount of information is not what we needed, and we wanted to stop giving data to Google. So, for the last few months, we have been searching for a way to drop Google Analytics, but continue to have the ability to measure how our website is doing.
That is where Fathom Analytics comes in.
Fathom Analytics "is a simple, light-weight, privacy-focused alternative to Google Analytics." It checks all the boxes that we needed.
- Provide information needed to know how many visitors are coming to the site? - Check
- Provide information on what our most popular pages are? - Check
- Provide information on where our site viewers are getting referred from? - Check
So, we started to plan the move to Fathom Analytics. I started up the free trial to check out how it works. I removed Google Analytics from Luro.io and added Fathom Analytics. Bam! Luro.io is now Google Analytics free!
After using Fathom Analytics for the last week or so, I enjoy using it a heck of a lot more than Google Analytics. The information is right there for you to see without having to click through pages of data.
And you know what the best thing about Fathom is? We can share our website analytics to all of you! If you want to check out our website's live dashboard, you can head over to our Fathom Dashboard. You can also find the link to our dashboard on our "About Us" page.
With the removal of Google Analytics, we took a big step into making Luro.io more privacy-focused. Currently, the only cookies that are allowed on our site are...
- Mailchimp for the popup Newsletter signup (this is in the works of being removed/changed)
- Stripe for our upcoming subscription service for those who are interested in supporting us
- YouTube cookies on those articles that have YouTube videos embedded.
- Cloudflare, as we use Cloudflare as our CDN as well as DDoS protection.
We are continually looking for ways to limit the number of cookies we have on Luro.io, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to reach out to us directly or comment below!
Until next time!